bugs in the croton's soil!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by bailey570, Nov 2, 2010.

1. bailey570

bailey570 Active Member

even if i did have my brothers camera, they would not show. this plant is a Croton that was a birthday gift from my girlfriend. there are tiny little gray bugs with wings in the soil. maybe 1mm long. the thing is that they are not on the stems or leaves, but in the soil! is there anything i can add to the soil or spray that would not harm the plant? or would i have to throw all the soil out and wash it out of the roots. the plant has many fine tiny roots, so i'm guessing it will be hard, if not impossible to get all the soil out of the roots. the plant seems healthy, but i don't like bugs on my plants. what should i do? i need some help please. oh, could i submerge the pot in water for a few mins and drown them? that would not kill the eggs though, right?

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Neem oil, it may not kill them but it'll drive them out.

3. tsugajunkie

tsugajunkie Active Member

Most likely fungus gnats. If so, neem would work, as would mosquito dunks or a tablespoon of horticultural lime mixed in a gallon of water. Let the soil dry out more between waterings and put 1/4 inch (less than 1cm) layer of sand on the soil.

tj

4. bailey570

bailey570 Active Member

you're right about the fungus. i have seen it (white stuff), but it appears to dry on top of the soil with the soil. even when i dry out the soil bone dry all the way through, i can see it on the top, but i think it's the old mold that's just dried up. it's funny though because i was checking the soil (which was bone dry all the way through), and that's when i saw them (when the soil was dry). i squished like 3 with my fingers, and then watered the plant. it's like they disappeared after i watered, but i figured that they just went down into the soil. i checked the plant all day after the watering, and i can't see a single one. it is super advice that you guys gave me, and i'm greatfull. i will follow these great tips, and pick up some neem oil so i have a surprise for them upon their return ;) lolololol thanks so much guys! have a good one!

5. tsugajunkie

tsugajunkie Active Member

Not fungus, fungus gnats. The white stuff is most likely salts from fertilizer.

tj

6. bailey570

bailey570 Active Member

sorry, not fungus. it was a white mold on the surface of the media. or maybe it's the common "grey mold". it has since vanished, and i have not seen it again.