Buggy Houseplant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by KrisDen, Feb 11, 2009.

1. KrisDen

KrisDen Member

I have a houseplant that has bugs in the soil. They are tiny little white bugs. They are much to small to take a picture of and really hard to describe as they are so tiny. I have done some research, but can't seem to find out what they are or what to do about them. I have tried soap and water, but that didn't seem to get rid of them. They don't seem to bother the plant, but I don't want them spreading to other plants. And, frankly, I don't want any bugs in any of my plants. I am wondering if anyone out there, has had a simular problem or may know what they are and what to do about them?

2. Brenda2601

Brenda2601 Member

put some soapy water into your plant it will kill the bugs not the plant

3. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Are they kind of wriggly, resembling tiny maggots but with legs and attenae? They might be symphylan.....are they munching on the roots of your plant? I have these in my hyacinths and there's not much I can do as the UK government have banned soil insecticides. I could repot but since the flower is already dying its not going to come back even if I do.

If you can get a soil insecticide I'd try that, otherwise I'd repot taking away as much of the old soil as possible and thoroughly checking there is no bugs in the soil left on the roots.

I'm not sure about them spreading, if they're larvae of something they could grow into things that can fly/jump or they could spend their lives in the soil, which means they'd have a job getting from pot to pot (unless your pots are very close!). You perhaps need to think where they might have come from....have you repotted this plant recentely at all? I'd check all your other plants as well just to make sure they don't have them too as well.

I hope that helps a bit:)

4. KrisDen

KrisDen Member

Yes, that sounds like them. I don't really know what they are eating as the plant is in good condition and is also growing. I have thought about cleaning the roots, but the plant is a fairly large peace lilly and it would be quiet a job.

Currently I have the plant isolated from the rest and have throughly checked the rest. They are all clean. I would like to try a soil insecticide, but I also have a hard time finding anything that is stronger than just soap and water.

Thank you for your suggestions, I think my only options is to repot cleaning the roots in the process.

5. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

I don't think they always eat the roots, it depends on how good the compost is, they might just be munching on organic matter in the soil but when that runs out they'll start eating the roots! Even if they're eating the roots they can't actually kill an established plant - just stunt its growth, its only seedlings that they can actually kill.

No problem, I hope your peace lilly fares better than my Hyacinths!

6. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Actually you don't need to repot!!!! I posted about my problem with Symphylans a few days ago but got no replies, I assumed it was because symphylans aren't usually seen much indoors or something but anyway i read this thread before mine and if you go look here

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=48371

you can drown them instead - much easier!

7. KrisDen

KrisDen Member

Thanks for your link. What a wonderful idea. I am excited to try the water and bucket thing. Isn't it funny how the best ideas are usually the simple ones? Thanks again. I hope it works for your hyacinths too.

8. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Yeah, thats why I'm so glad there's so many experienced gardeners willing to help on this forum:)

It didn't unfortunately, certainly it reduced their numbers but there's still some there, I think they escaped by climbing up inside the bulbs, they're also at a rather shallow depth so I'm not sure the soil got wet enough at the top.....I might give them another dousing on Monday LOL. Let me know how it goes with your Peace Lily...I hope you have more success:-)

9. KrisDen

KrisDen Member

Well I tried the bucket of water, but had no success. Like you it reduced their numbers, but some still survived. So I am going to try method #2. A complete root cleaning and repot. Hope it works.

10. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

I'd try the water method every week or two (whatever the plant can stand without rotting) as I'm sure these bugs have a life cycle, and if eggs are in the soil, they will not be drowned, and will hatch at a later date. If I'm wrong here, please somebody stop me from giving this advice!

11. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

You're probably right, with any bug I've read about you always have to repeat the treatment.....did you have any success with replacing the soil KrisDen?