Brugmansia leaf issue help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Christmas Bug, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Christmas Bug

Christmas Bug Member

EF1D4D53-84E7-47D2-963E-DB915524D837.jpeg 2F19A8D3-EFC5-4D15-9599-432A220BD1D6.jpeg
    I bought this brugmansia last year, and I’ve called the grower and spoken to the greenhouse where it was bought and niether had a clue.

Started with leaf discolouration, deformation, curling, and all big leaves dropping. Stippling and strangeness with tissue death at leaf edge. Took a ‘scope to it, no bugs, and no signs of root rot. Fertilizing with gypsum, liquid kelp and increased watering saw reduced leaf deformation, bigger leaves, no edge necrosis. Now these spots are coming in over the dark green colour on some leaves. Humidity 35%, partial sun, cuttings also show mild discolouration but no spots, any ideas?

2. Christmas Bug

Christmas Bug Member

As a follow up, I think the leaf burn and spotting was excess nitrogen

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That was kind of you to post the follow up even though no-one here was able to help. At least we can help the next person who asks.
    The excess nitrogen was in the soil it came in, or in a fertilizer you were using?

4. Christmas Bug

Christmas Bug Member

It came in calcium deficient soil and I pushed too much nitrogen, no flower buds gave it away