Browning on some leaves on Esk Sunset

Discussion in 'Maples' started by SLR2009, May 18, 2020.

1. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

Hi, some leaves have browning on my Esk Sunset Maple. The tree gets full sun and there has been no frost. It's mainly been in the 60's every day. Only 2 warmer days recently where it was in the mid to upper 70's. This spring I removed some girdling roots near the root flare when it had buds. The tree didn't put on that much new growth this spring. Any ideas? Do you think the tree is stressed from the root loss? The tree was planted in the spring of 2018. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@SLR2009, good morning, I think you have already answered your own question IMO. Removing girdling roots in Spring will cause it stress, hence the reaction to the budding and leafing out. Your tree will settle and be back to normal next Spring. Esk Sunset is a favourite of mine, I have one in my garden. Have attached a couple of leaf photos for you.

Attached Files:

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi SLR, I have a sense I've seen this picture... ;)

Your Esk is certainly not established yet, and the exposition is not a big help. They are a little tetchier than most of the variegated sycamores, and seem to take a longer time to get established., and be a little more sensitive to higher soil pH. Do you know yours? If I remember this guy has had some troubles since last year? I do think that in full sun it will look a little ragged for a while, and your best bet is to just let time do its thing.

Of course as Acerholic says removing the roots may have slowed it down some this year, but if so that's another sign that it's poorly established. Typically a well established sycamore will have plenty of root and removing some won't make much difference. Also, once the purple leaf undersides color up, it will take the sun better.

One thing I don't believe I mentioned elsewhere, is possible over-watering? It's a fine line to tread, especially with sun; but your pic does suggest it could be an issue.

I'd make sure that the Esk has no weeds or grass around it, mulch it well, and ensure the soil dries between watering. I'm sure it will come around.

cheers, -E

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    AlainK likes this.