Browning leaves on 3 branches drought related?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by SLR2009, Jul 13, 2018.

1. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

Hi, my Seiryu Japanese Maple was planted about 3 years ago. Recently 3 branches on the tree browned and wilted. It hasn't rained in awhile and the soil was a bit dry. I did water it but maybe I waited too long. Do you think it's drought related or something else?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

The rest of the leaves look healthy. The black area near the branch collar and green areas mixed with black is usually an indication of a bacterial infection. The bacteria clogs the vascular system causing the wilted leaves down stream. Then the branch starts dying back from the tips.

This branch needs to be removed. Clean your pruners with 92% alcohol so that you do not spread bacteria to other trees or other areas of the tree.

These outbreaks usually happen during the dormant wet part of the late winter early spring. They also can occur this time of year as drought and extreme heat set in and the trees begin to become stressed. A regular watering schedule providing 1" of water a week now through Aug to Sept is a good idea. If you get a good rain, then only water extra to make up any deficit. Also avoid synthetic fertilizer, synthetic lawn fertilizer, weed and feed or glyphosate. These forms of synthetic fertilizer is a food source for bacteria which can lead to more outbreaks. Glyphosate or weed and feed compromises the trees health which can cause collapse during seasonal exremes. It also compromises the trees immune system which will cause decline slowly over time.

Ken Hamilton and SLR2009 like this.