Brown Turkey Fig, Size of Fruit

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by plasticplantkiller, Aug 13, 2007.

1. plasticplantkiller

plasticplantkiller Member

I planted a Brown Turkey Fig Tree 3 years ago. It is now past 7 feet tall, about the same wide, absolutely beautiful. I live in West Texas and last year we had a late, hard freeze and all the leaves fell off. Later in the year it produced fruit, the size of a grape and were falling off the tree daily, none ever ripened. This year, we had a late freeze, not a hard freeze. Alot of the leave fell off, some were fine. We have had an enormous amount of rain this year, (very unusual) and a milder summer. The tree is loaded with figs, but they are very small about the size of a pecan. They are beginning to ripen. Is this the standard size of the figs or is this caused by the elements this year?

Thanks,
    Janie

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sounds on the small size to me (using this fig factsheet from Texas A&M Extension as a guide).

My advice is to call your local extension agent and find out if other folks in your area are having the same problem this year.