Brown Stink Bugs

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by Ross Arbo, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Ross Arbo

Ross Arbo New Member

I've noticed a lot of stink bugs in my back yard this year; way more than previous years.
    I happened to see one fly over to a purple flower Buddleja bush I have in the corner of my yard. When I went to investigate I noticed there were 20-30 stink bugs on the bush.
    I don't think the stink bugs are doing any harm but they are pretty gross/ugly. Any recommendations on getting rid of them (without chemicals)? I see there is a pheromone trap (link here brown marmorated stink bug - Halyomorpha halys) but wondered if anyone local has advice.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Make sure the bug is what you think it is. Have a look at this thread: Stinkbug.

3. Ross Arbo

Ross Arbo New Member

Attached Files:

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

5. vitog

vitog Rising Contributor 10 Years

After reading the start of this thread yesterday, I did a little research on stink bugs in BC and started looking at them more carefully while harvesting my pole beans today. I quickly found several types, including a couple of BMSB. I agree that they seem to be far more abundant than previously but haven't noticed any damage from them so far. A couple of what looked like Rough Stink Bugs came into the house last night; I gather that more of them will be seeking such shelter as the weather cools more.

6. Ross Arbo

Ross Arbo New Member

Yes I'm also not seeing much/any damage outside but I'd like to get a handle on them now before they try to seek shelter in/around my house this winter.
    I tried the defensive approach the last two nights with a tray of soapy water lit from above; no luck. So this morning I went with a more offensive approach. I set up at the Buddleja bush (which seems to be the main host) armed with my shop-vac and managed to capture about 20 in a couple of minutes. They seem to be less active and slower, maybe due to the cooler morning, and were easily sucked up in the vacuum. I dumped them in the soapy water and within 10 minutes they were done.