brown moss growing

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by funnyfarmherbs, Apr 23, 2008.

1. funnyfarmherbs

funnyfarmherbs Member

I have this stuff looks like a brown moss growing in all my pots in my greenhouse and spreading quickly. It seems like it is starving the plants and they are starting to look puny. I brought a sample to a local plant nursery and they thought it was some type of fungus and I got some broad spectrum fungicide with chlorothalonil as active ingredient and I sprayed everything thoroughly yesterday. If this is the correct cure how long b4 I see results thanks for help..

Attached Files:

• mold.jpg
      mold.jpg
      File size:
      171.6 KB
      Views:
  2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

G'day FFH
    The picture is a bit blurry. Maybe you should move it to the fungus and lichen id, they should know over there.

Ed

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, I might move it to fungus and lichen ID, or garden pest mgmt and ID, once there is a clearer photograph (remember, edleigh, newer posters can't move their own threads).

4. funnyfarmherbs

funnyfarmherbs Member

i have some other photos the first is growth on orchid bark the second on potting soil thanks bruce

Attached Files:

5. funnyfarmherbs

funnyfarmherbs Member

this i another photo it's fuzzy and spreading

Attached Files:

6. funnyfarmherbs

funnyfarmherbs Member

this is fairly widespread i have about 10,000 potted plants in this greenhouse which is new to me and this stuff is hurting my plants which i have much work invested in ...

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmmm... well, if you don't receive an answer here, you may also like to check with your county extension office. 10000 plants is a lot to risk.

For what it's worth, the suggestion made by someone here is that a) if the growth is only appearing on the cellulosic material in the soil (i.e., the woody stuff), then it may indeed be using some nitrates from the soil while it breaks down the woody material (and that would be the only adverse impact on your plants). The accompanying advice would have been to use a dilute fertilizer to repair the nitrogen imbalance and improve air circulation (and possibly light). That's a tentative answer, though, because it is difficult to tell from all but one of the photographs what the fungus is growing on.

8. funnyfarmherbs

funnyfarmherbs Member

wow i called the county ext and they had someone here in less than an hour who took pics and samples it does appear to be growing on the woody stuff including on my tables and it appears as parts are turning whitish poss from fungicide spraying and much stuff got burned poss the crop oil i added to spray see what the lab says my gh is 96 foot long going from 70 percent shade to full sun and its growing on both ends uneffected by light i did add a heavier exhaust fan.as it dies will it wash away. thanks