Brown Fibers covering stem - Undulata

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by BriWanderful, Mar 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. BriWanderful

BriWanderful New Member

Hello, I a couple of months ago I picked up a Cotyledon undulata but the stem seems to be covered in an unknown fibrous brown substance. At first, I thought I might just be the way the stem had grown since it was the when it bought it however I recently noticed that in some spots I can see green stem underneath it, I'm wondering if anyone knows what might have been the cause of this/what it is and if there's anything I can do to help the plant (will add an image soon)

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forum!
    Please do give us a photo if you can.
    In its absence I will give you my best guess...an unusually robust growth of aerial roots...?
    Aerial Roots on Succulents

3. BriWanderful

BriWanderful New Member

This image is from when I first brought it home, unfortunately it's the only one I'm able to post at the moment. While the lighting and angle aren't the best you can see how it was even wrapping around the leaves near the top, later or it was even wrappingaround newer ones. It's got about half the amount of leaves now, the ones that remain appear healthy but my main fear is that with the way it wraps around like that is it's slowly cutting off the leaves.

Aerial robots do sound/look like a possibility but it's hard to tell with how much there is, I can't find a beginning or end to it.

Attached Files: