Brown area on hedge

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ckain, Jul 22, 2019.

1. ckain

ckain New Member

If I can post a picture, could this be caused by male cat 'spray'.

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Male 'spray' seems a distinct possibility - not necessarily from a cat.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Box is prone to various maladies, with areas of discoloration frequently being seen - try presenting samples of affected areas - including ones not yet dead - to your nearest USDA Cooperative Extension Service branch office for diagnosis.

4. Susan18

Susan18 New Member

IMG_1425.jpg This spray (?) pattern is isolated to one spot in my hedge. I suspect deer as they have been dining in my garden. It appears dead. Do I need to replace the boxwood shrub or will this regenerate from the twigs, will it rebud? How long should I give it?

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Deer do not lift their legs to relieve themselves so I think you can rule them out as the culprit - if indeed this caused by urine. Sorry, I cannot say whether the brown area will fill in over time with new leaves but I would give it a year before doing anything drastic . . . it would take a long time for a new plant to reach the same size.

6. Susan18

Susan18 New Member

I was thinking along the lines of spray from anal glands....not sure exactly when they are "in season" but there have been a number of young bucks congregating. Anyway, thank you for the advice to take a year leave it be and hope for regeneration. A relaxed approach!

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Aye, if it was a cat, it'd have to be . . . well, what cat could wee down on the top of a hedge half a metre high? A Tiger? :o)

Could a visiting workman have tossed an unwanted mug of hot tea/coffee over it?