"Bronze Wing" Question

Discussion in 'Maples' started by webwolf, Mar 22, 2005.

1. webwolf

webwolf Active Member 10 Years

Hi,
    I learned that "Bronze Wing" is an Australian cultivar. Are they more "Aussie JM's"?
    regards
    Wolfgang

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Heartbeat
    Berry's Broom (Mabye being sold as Berry's Dwarf)
    Bewley's Red
    Berrima Bridge
    Lockington Gem

These are a few that I picked up from the Vertrees 3rd ed. appendix C. All of the above are now being marketed in the U.S. except for Lockington Gem. I recently acquired Heartbeat and I am very pleased. I would like to see some of the other spring pink/rose colored dissectums to compare but it stands out to be pretty unique. I am also interested in acquiring Berry Dwarf which I find quite interesting.

From discussion with one grower I have delt with for a couple of years, he states that the growing conditions in Australia are quite good for maples and that one can a achieve much more growth in the same amount of time give the mild winter conditions. I suspect that other maples have come from there, but that it is a currently growing trade and that many more are in development and will be seen in the future.

For reference, a grower I buy from in Eugene, Oregon frequently imports wood and seedlings form Australia and and has done so for some years. The wood for one of my Acer palmatum 'Ariadne' plants came from Australia.

Michael

3. Idacer

Idacer Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

How about:

Coonara Pygmy?

4. chumasero

chumasero Active Member

Don't forget

Acer palmatum 'Peaches and Cream'