Broken Plant replanting

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by lovecatsandplants22, Mar 28, 2010.

1. lovecatsandplants22

lovecatsandplants22 Member

I have what I believe to be a money tree. It has grown very tall and I think it was a little top heavy. It fell and broke at the stalk. I want to save it if I can but I need some help on what to do for it. It has been out of soil for half a day now. How do I replant it? Do I need to soak in water until it roots?

Attached Files:

2. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Active Member

I'm afraid I can't offer advice on this with any conviction, but having had a similar problem myself in the past (and not knowing how to fix it) I am eager to see what the guys here suggest. Fingers crossed someone can help!

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

This plant can be propagated by cutting. Cut off the broken portion since there's no way to repair the damage. Make a clean cut below the break and the bottom portion will likely sprout new growth in time. Reduce watering to a minimum until new growth appears. As for the top portion cut off the tip just below a leaf node using a sharp pair of cutters, remove the leaf just above the node, apply rooting hormone to the cut, then plant in a porous medium such as that provided by adding a healthy portion of perlite to regular potting soil. Repeat with the remaining portion as material permits using a 45 degree angle cut at the bottom and a 90 degree cut at the top. This way you'll have a number of cuttings thus increasing the chance at least one will root. The strength of rooting hormone will depend on the age of each cutting. Use judgment in the length of each cutting; leave maybe three leaves on each. You might even consider removing a half of each leaf using a pair of scissors in order to reduce transpiration. Good luck.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this before but this is what I would do. Hopefully someone with actual experience with this plant can contribute their thoughts.

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

So ... that stem between the soil and break has nodes and internodes.

My guess it that if you don't water it too much, but take care if it, you may see sprouts from the nodes growing almost as fast as you could get the top to root in water or soil.

Maybe you will gain two plants out of this.

: - )