Bringing Plants Across the Border

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by ZoneDenier, May 22, 2019.

1. ZoneDenier

ZoneDenier New Member

I am looking for a specific variety of tropical hibiscus that I can't seem to find in Canada. I may try and get it shipped to just south of the border and bring it across in person. Does anyone have experience doing this?

It looks to me as though we are able to bring across houseplants, but I was wondering if anyone has ever had issues. I would obviously unbox the plants before crossing.

This case is specifically for tropical hibiscus but I'm also curious about plumeria and orchids.

Thanks!

2. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

There is probably something online at Canada Customs. Canadian club members of our Ann Arbor, Michigan bonsai club don't exhibit trees very often because it's a big deal, back-and-forth at Windsor/Detroit.

ZoneDenier likes this.
  3. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Yes you can do it but there are certain steps to follow. First you should check AIRS - automated import reference system - for the item you want to bring in. This will tell you if you need a phyto certificate, an import licence or both. It will also tell you if the item is banned from entry.

Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Answering all the questions can be tedious but you must be truthful and just follow the drill-down step by step; is the plant rooted or unrooted, what country is it coming from; if the US, which state etc. Once you have answered the questions the system will tell you what you need to bring it into Canada. In most cases you will need at least a phyto certificate so you may be out of luck as in my experience I have found very few vendors in the US that are willing to provide one and if so at a very steep price.

The purpose of AIRS to maintain control as to what or what not may enter Canada in order to protect Canadian agriculture. That being said, "houseplants" are permitted to cross the border without any paperwork as long as they accompany you at the time of entry; maximum 50 plants. If it looks like a healthy houseplant and you declare it there should be no issues in bringing it back. However you are still taking a chance as the CBSA can refuse entry at any time and for no other reason than it is a plant.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Daniel Mosquin and ZoneDenier like this.