Brahea armata

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by LPN, Sep 16, 2006.

1. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Brahea armata is now 2 & a half years in my garden. It steadily has pushed 3 or 4 new leaves each year with little or no ill effect from winter. It is carefully sited in a S.W. location and close to the front stoop. It's a borderline palm but has the best chance of survival with it's siting, and any help from me I think it may need.

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

2. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

it looks healthy actually.... i thought there supposed to have whitish blue leaves? im actualy suprised to see it in bc cause its from a dry area ( same as washingtonia) and bc is very wet in the winter... must be some very well draining soil

3. Canadianplant

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

And precipitation varies with where in BC you are. Some locales have native prickly pear cacti and manzanita.

5. Canadianplant

thats right some people have xeroscapes there..... wow i dropped the ball on that one lol

6. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

It depends where your situated in relation to a mountain, as rain goes up and over, and takes a while before it comes down. I'm on salt spring Island, and we don't get as much rain as Vancouver ( Which I can see if I'm on a mountain) because the mountains send the rain up and over us, then it dumps on Vancouver.

7. palmera

palmera Active Member

LPN, I planted out the Brahea I got from you this spring and it has grown a new leaf already. I should have pointed it out when you visited last week...the site is next to my largest Waggy, beside the pond. It looks to be very happy there.

For the winter, as it is so small, I plan to put a 5 gallon pot with the bottom cut out around it, fill with straw, and cover with plastic to keep the rain out. What do you think?

8. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Well hello palmera,
    I know what I'd do with a small Brahea armata. I'd protect it only if temps get below -5C and remove that protection as soon as the weather breaks. Covering it up for the winter months would not allow it to breathe and promote bud rot.
    I'm really interested to see how your many Sabal species and cultivars grow.

Cheers, LPN.