Identification: Bought an “unknown”, please help!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Jmcleveland, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Jmcleveland

Jmcleveland New Member

Hi everyone, thank you for all the helpful discussions and photos as I have started to plant Japanese maples here in Ohio. I bought a tree labeled as Unknown, and was hoping someone could identify it. Photos are attached (plus one with my dog who laid down in front while I was taking pictures!). The tree is bushy and has a gold sheen to it that isn’t captured in the photos so well, similar but maybe with a bit more green than Ogon Sarasa and Iijima Sunago. Thank you for looking!

Attached Files:

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Not very many replies, eh ?

That's probably because it's very hard to tell one cultivar from another but I'd say it's a form of Acer amoenum, or Acer amoenum var. matsumurae. Have a look at this page : Species discernment of Japanese maples

Unless you planted it too deep, there is no sign it's grafted. So it can be a specimen of a plain species from seed (or cutting), or a hybrid (from seed).

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It actually reminds me of that group of maples that are crosses between Acer amoenum (or A. amoenum var. matsumurae) and A. shirasawanum. Not sure which one is closest but cultivars like 'Mirte' and 'Yasemin', even 'Green Trompenburg'. Mostly these have been selected in Holland and in Oregon but I also think some of the older Japanese selections may be undocumented similar crosses

4. ChrisUk

ChrisUk Active Member

The tree has got a nice upper half shape, and will likely look stunning in autumn! Hopefully you'll be posting pictures then :)

maf likes this.