Bouganvillea help

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by sungodess134, Oct 8, 2008.

1. sungodess134

sungodess134 Active Member

Hi, I recently bought a beautiful golden bouganvillea. There was a display of them in some plastic hanging baskets which I thought was so unique, however they did not have the gold color I liked. I decided to make my own, I used a basket with a moss insert. The bouganvillea is dying, really just about dead. I know their roots do not like to be disturbed and I was very careful. My husband suggested that maybe it was not doing as well because it was in the basket with the moss instead of the plastic type I saw on display. Can anyone help me save this beautiful plant? I have a few others that are in the ground that thrive, just not this color. While we are on the subject, does anyone know how to sucessfully propagate a bouganvillea. Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give me.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

If you really want to save it, put it in some soil. Bougainvillea prefer nutrient-rich soils with medium drainage, and moss just won't cut it - your plant is starving.

Once you've got it back on its feet, it's fairly easy to propagate by stem cuttings; use a softwood rooting hormone and limit watering for the first week or so.