Bottle palms

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Levi, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Levi

Levi Member

We recently moved to North Carolina and brought two bottle palms with us. We have brought them in the house before it got cold however the end of the leaves are starting to turn brown. I know they are getting enough water and I have begun misting the leaves. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Greeneyes

Greeneyes Member

I'm not sure if your bottle palms are of the same variety as we have here in Australia, (Hyophorbe Lagenicaulis) or if ours are a side strain but ours grow to about 6 or 7 metres high and far to big to be kept in side, any way mine are doing fine here in the tropics but last year I took a small plant down to a relative in the cold southern states of Australia and she complained a month or so later that the same symptoms as yours had started to happen, she has since given it a healthy dose of palm fertilizer and moved it to a sunny position and all is now fine,
    I hope this is of help to you,
    Regards Greeneyes.

3. gcolbert28303

gcolbert28303 Member

I wish you good luck with them, your biggest problem is going to be humidity, misting by a spray bottle may not be enough if you have forced air heat as it will dry out the air inside your house in no time.
    Best wishes
    Greg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  4. Levi

Levi Member

Thanks for the information. I am still trying to get this to snap out of it! The spike in the middle looks very healthy. Thanks again!

5. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Is there a chance your over watering the pot? Most plants when they are brought in want less water in the pot. this doesn't mean you should stop misting. It is less about humidity, and more to do with how plants hae different needs when brought in. I have several plants that I bring in most a variety on palms, bananas, Alocasias, orchids and such. They all need less water in the pot, because of the lack of light. They are close to a woodstove, so I mist regularly.