Bottle palm questions

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by shameemah, Nov 24, 2006.

1. shameemah

shameemah Member

Hi, I leave on a hill side in Mauritius (tropical). I have a garden, built inside a soil filled wall. I want to plant a bottle palm in three square feet in it. Well my first question was going to be whether the spot is too small, but I've read about others planting it in a pot, so I guess it’s all right. What I really want to know is whether with time the palm's root may crack the wall around it? Height of the soil filled wall is approximately ten feet. If it’s the case I will not be able to plant it then. I'd appreciate it if someone could help me find the answer. Thanks.

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you can manage a slightly larger space, maybe 4' x 4' that would be more suitable. Failing that, personally I'd plant it without fear of the roots cracking a 10' wall. I assume the wall is backfilled and the roots can spread in the opposite direction of the wall, or will the roots be contained within 3 square feet?

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

I have attached a link to an earlier discussion of root structures of monocots (identified by parallel leaf veins) vs. dicots (branching leaf veins). Monocot roots could be characterized as fleshy & brittle with little branching structure. Increase in root diameter is due to storage of starches, water & nutrients, not wood formation. They will not be able to crack a wall. Since the palm is a monocot, the risk to your wall is very low.

If you were planting a dicot, the risk to the wall is greater due to the roots increasing diameter due to wood formation. Given the wall size though, I think even then your risk is minimal.

root system on Yucca Rostrada

Simon