botany help - magic trick!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by magicdave, Sep 22, 2003.

1. magicdave

magicdave Member

Hi, I surfed onto this site because I need to find out if there is a plant that, when watered, will 'perk up' quickly and even visibly (within 2 minutes). Is there such a plant?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

thats awful quick for a response to water, I would suggest perhaps a mimosa ( sensitive plant) for a neat plant with immediate obvious reaction. When the leaves are touched lightly they fold up and wilt immediately and recover over about 1/2 an hour or less.

3. magicdave

magicdave Member

interesting

That is really interesting. I may find a way to use that effect. I'm still looking to find a plant that will "stand up" or perk up rather quickly.

What other plants have rapid movement? I am familiar only with the venus fly trap.

thanks so much for your input.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Here's another one that I'd read about recently:

Selaginella lepidophylla - the resurrection plant. You can also search Google for resurrection plant - there are apparently other plants that have a similar quality with a similar common name.

5. magicdave

magicdave Member

Wow!!!!! Thanks!!!

How fast does it "resurrect"? In 1-2 minutes? Where would I find one in southern california. Do you think I'd have to go to Mexico?