Boston Ivy as privacy screen

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by jardinero, May 12, 2007.

1. jardinero

jardinero Member

I would like to plant a climbing plant of some sort on our chain link fence to act as a screen. I am considering Boston Ivy, but would also like a vine that flowers. Can I plant two different types of plants together-or will this cause competition? Also, we have a grape vine near by which also climbs on the fence, will I have competition issues here too? Does Boston Ivy spread quite wide? Would planting one start be sufficient to cover say a ten foot long, six foot high fence?

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Boston Ivy Parthenocissus tricuspidata is inappropriate for
    chain link fence since it climbs via holdfasts that cling to stone,
    concrete, brick or wood. They can't twine around wires.
    Also since it's not evergreen you would have no privacy for
    almost half of the year.

HTH
    Chris

3. jardinero

jardinero Member

Thanks for your reply Chris. It would have been nice if the vendor from whom I bought my Boston Ivy from yesterday would have told me that. I will have to think of a different place to put it. Could you recommend another plant that would work as a screen on a chain link fence? I would love to put evergreens, but we are on a bit of a budget right now. Thanks again.

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Vines will compete with each other, but if you plant equally vigorous varieties they will each have a chance and should thrive equally. Any plant in a garden setting needs maintenance, however, including vines, and one task would be to ensure that neither is choking out the other (or that they are not choking out themselves). Nothing, however, can compete with Ivy; escaped into the wild it is taking over whole forests and suffocating trees. I would never consider planting it.

Do you want an evergreen screen? If so you have limited choices in the vine family. You might consider conifers instead.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Grape relation Boston ivy is much faster growing than ivy (Hedera) and should have little trouble overtaking it, should the two encounter one another. A large variegated ivy like 'Gloire de Marengo' (where hardy) could make a good contrasting backdrop for the hot fall color of the Parthenocissus. Maybe in a colder climate variegated winter creeper (Euonymus fortunei cultivars) could be used instead, although the difference in rates of growth between the Boston ivy and the winter creeper would be considerable. Pruning and training would be expected to be necessary in either case.

A friend has had Virginia creeper draping over a chain link fence for years. This is less dense than Boston ivy and is probably more suitable for interplanting with other climbers.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  6. jardinero

jardinero Member

Hi Karin,

Thank you for your advice. Could you recommend a fast growing conifer (but something that also does not get too tall? I think our neighbour has cypress along his fence (but I could be wrong). We are on a bit of a budget, so I am not sure we could afford this option, but I would be interested in any suggestions, just the same. However, our fence is really not that long (maybe 20', with an interruption for the gate). How many trees would I need to put in, in order to cover this space?

Thanks again!

7. jardinero

jardinero Member

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your response. Would the Virginia Creeper compete with the grapes? They would be sharing the fence. I am kind of miffed about being sold the Boston Ivy when I was very specific about it being for a chain link fence, near grapes, etc... Now I am not sure where to put it.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Since Virginia creeper grows on chain link surely Boston ivy will also.

9. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

10. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

It will climb on anything, I think, unless I am mistaking my ivies as Ron seems to be suggesting. Sorry I didn't see your answer before I posted too.

For conifers, I'm no hedging expert, so I'd go check what's available at your local garden centres and nurseries, and what it costs. You may be able to get them cheaper in fall. The thing about plants is you can always rip them out. Why not plant a couple of vines, see how they work out, and start saving up for conifers in case you don't like them.

It's also not an either/or question. Another alternative is a more complicated shrub border that incorporates conifers, broadleaf evergreens, and even deciduous plants. Rather than just blocking your view, such an undertaking gives you something nice to look at. Basic landscaping or gardening magazines should give you an idea of how something like that might work, and the plants should be readily available.

11. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

I think you're in the native range of virginia creeper up there in Montreal. Here in central Florida, it's present everywhere and will happily cover a chain link fence, given the opportunity. As vines go, it's really tractable-down here, a few pullings a year keep it in bounds. But left to climb a tree, it'll make it up to the lower canopy!