Bonsai!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by codyb89, Apr 8, 2008.

1. codyb89

codyb89 Active Member

In the first pic.. i got this bonsai for free becuase someone broke the pot so i just got the trunk and some roots... The trunk had about 3 leaves and i took it repotted it and fed it, now it has grown that many leaves in about 2 - 3 months.. do all bonsais do that? Also, should i let it keep going?

The second two pics are of my other bonsai that has white spots on the leaves... are these just from the mister? Thanks! Cody

Attached Files:

2. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Cody,
    The white stuff on the leaves look like hard water deposits. What kind of water are you misting your plants with?
    Looking at your plants I am not too sure you need to mist them at all. Looks like you have a humidity tray set up for them.
    I am supposing that you keep them outside in partial shade??

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Both trees are Ficus benjamina or a closely related species of Ficus, so tropical origin, not outdoor plants.

4. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Nice for Ficus benjamina! Got two in my greenhouse regular sized plants at about 6 feet tall!! But they can be grown outdoors in Southern California. Do well in the Los Angeles area near the coast with several hours of full sun. I am told that they would survive up here but have not tried them outside yet.
    They tend to like a drier substrate than a wetter one. I only water mine occasionally when the leaves start dropping otherwise they get whatever water drips into their pots from the overhanging bromeliads that I spray down heavily.
    Humidity ranges from mid 50% to mid 80%.

5. codyb89

codyb89 Active Member

i am having trouble putting any plants outside around now because we have been having lightning intense rain, hail and tornadoes for like 3 weeks now