Bonsai winter protection advice

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by MrsGreenthumbs, Sep 15, 2010.

1. MrsGreenthumbs

MrsGreenthumbs Active Member

Hi All,

So it will be quite cold and I need to think of winter protection for my new bonsai. In the past I lived in a house and the old tree got buried in the ground, mulched and shielded from the snow and frost next to the garage.
    Now I live in an apartment with a balcony that gets moorning sun. I am only two floors up but it does get windy. Now I was thinking put it in a pot with gravel on the bottom and mulching or using straw up to the trunk. Is this overkill? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mrs.Greenthumbs :)

2. skunkyjoe

skunkyjoe Active Member

It depends on what species you have as a bonsai . For example a Larch ( Larix Decidua ) could stay on the balcony with no protection at all ... in a bonsai pot and watered as needed . But , a Japanese Maple ( Acer Palmatum ) would require much more protection ( maybe plunged into a styrofoam cooler and mulched with leaves ) . A general rule of thumb is to knock TWO hardiness zones off a plant when it is potted and left outside .. the roots a more prone to freezing above ground .

3. MrsGreenthumbs

Thank you for your reply SkunkyJoe :)

It is a Juniper Procumbens Nana -its also my profile pic :) I like the styrofoam cooler idea. So I gather confiers trees/bushes would not have such a hard time as deciduous - makes sence.

4. skunkyjoe

skunkyjoe Active Member

Juniperus Procumbens Nana is quite hardy , I would only protect it on the very coldest night ... say below -15c . It is an evergreen and would appreciate some sun even in winter , though it does survive for months buried under snow with no light . I would leave it outside in full sun with no protection until at least December , and remember to water as required . Give it a good drink before the hard frosts set in ...

5. MrsGreenthumbs

Thanks so much Skunkyjoe :) Junipers are my favorite and I plan to get a few more in time. I would love a Japanese Maple as well. I also have been contemplating doing a rock planting in the Spring.