Bonsai tree nurseries in the Vancouver area?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by bzm3r, Apr 28, 2011.

1. bzm3r

bzm3r Member

Hello,

I'm looking for some very young trees that I can keep indoors in a bonsai-ish style, but really just in a "small-tree-in-a-pot" way, without the formalism of bonsai. From some very basic internet research, something like a ficus or a banyan would be ideal, but I'm having trouble finding suitable trees in a nursery near me.

I visited Sunny Bonsai on Broadway a few days ago, but they didn't have any young (small - thin main trunk diameter) tropical indoor trees. I wasn't too interested in the jades. I tried calling Art Knapp's Plantland on Granville, but they didn't have anything quite what I was looking for either - only a couple of fairly tall (shrub size) ficus trees.

Do you have any recommendations on a nursery I could visit with a variety of selection of suitable seedlings?

Thank you for your help,
    bzm3r

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I used to deal with a fellow named Tak in south surrey, I think his outlet was called Japan Bonsai, he may still be in business. Last location he was at theat I know of was near 24th avenue and 152nd street in south surrey.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Check with Brookswood Nursery & Garden Centre in Langley. They have bonsai and pre-bonsai plants.