blushing bride tradescantia

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by butterfly1963, Jul 13, 2009.

1. butterfly1963

butterfly1963 Member

Hi all,
    I got these plants in June. I've attached pics of them then and now.
    I've researched and found the following:
    variegation is best when you -
    1. grow them in complete shade
    2. grow them in either am or pm sun and shade for the rest of the day
    3. you cut off the green so the varie comes out (which in this case would be to cut it all off)
    4. it needs coolness for best variegation
    5. it needs poor soil for best variegation
    6. color is best in spring and winter
    7. full sun to part shade
    8. full shade to part shade
    And there's more growing instructions than above.
    I potted it all up to a larger pot, added some osmocote 13-13-13 and put it in my hothouse.
    It normally gets above 90 @ waist level these days and has shade cloth (approx 40%).
    Is it to hot? Should I get rid of the osmocote? Is that not enough sun or shade?
    Oh, all the above growing instructions were from people actually growing them....
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    thank you,
    God bless,
    Beth

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

In my experience, plants need to have some sun to variegate well. I have a pot of green-and-white striped and a large hanging basket of purple/green/pink striped Tradescantia. Both are more colorful when I put them outside over the summer.
    Hmm. 90 seems pretty hot to me...but if the plants are getting some shade, they may be OK. Since you just got them recently, keep an eye on them and see how they do.

3. butterfly1963

butterfly1963 Member

Hi togata57,
    Thank you. The green n white I have is in mornin sun and afternoon shade, same temps, the purple one is in my bathroom and is adding white stripes. It came off of a regular striped purple one and has gotten as you described in the bathroom window with the addition of the stripes.
    I've brought the bride inside to put in the bathroom window as well to see what it does.
    Just thought someone might know for sure on this particular one.
    Thank you again,
    God bless,
    Beth

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

Wow i have never seen one like that ..... with all the wandering jews i have had i have always had them in almost full sun .. and they did there best in that .. once they didnt get enough sun they got lanky and the colors were not that good .. i have never seen one with that many growing instructions ...lol

I would love a lil piece if you are willing to part with one .. will pay for postage .. :)
    i think i can make room for that plant .. lol

Marion