Blue Spruce Care

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Ldtothemax24, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Ldtothemax24

Ldtothemax24 Member

I have a small blue spruce tree in my yard. The tree is beautiful. The tree is about 4ft tall and the top about 1ft to 1 1/2 ft of the tree is dying and spreading down every yr. Can i cut off the part of the tree that has died and have it come back or will cutting the top off kill the tree completly? Should i just let it go and hope that nature will take care of it? i want to keep the tree. the rest of the tree looks healthly and full.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

What to do depends on what is wrong. Try your local Cooperative Extension office, if there still is one.

3. gkang5

gkang5 Member

I have the exact same problem w/ my blue spruce I bought 2 years ago. I thought it was the location (it was next to a very large tree and somewhat shady) , so my husband moved it to a sunnier spot. However, its getting worse and the browning is inching downward. A person at the nursery where we bought the tree said that if the top is brown, there is no hope for it. Does anyone out there know any way to revive it back? I really would like to bring life back to our first Christmas tree since marriage.... I'd be happy to post couple of pictures if requested. Thanks in advance.

4. Herky

Herky Member

Well, if the best info is that there is no hope you just as well try something and see, right?? I mean, it's not like your going to do the tree any harm if it is already in the process of dying. Please post picts. Then I might tell you what I would do...whether it be right or wrong.

5. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Spruce bud worm possibly?

6. Chaz

Chaz Member

I just ran across a top leader dying problem (MDNR site pic) and say's this about White Pines. The cause in this case was weevils.

White pine weevils
    White pine weevils tunnel into the terminal leader of white pines, causing terminal death, growth loss, and crooked or forked stems. As mentioned earlier, this happens more when trees are grown in open, unshaded conditions. It usually occurs when the trees reach a height of 5 feet or more.

Corrective pruning for weevil infestations
    If white pine become infested, clipping currently wilted terminals in July will help prevent damage in the following year by killing the new generation of weevils. Be sure to remove enough of last year's growth to get all of the larvae feeding under the bark. Collect and destroy the clipped terminals.