blue leaves cycas

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by muhamad, Feb 23, 2008.

1. muhamad

muhamad Member

Hello all. Please help me, I'm confused. I'm new in cycad so my knowledge is very less. So many cycas species has claimed have a blue leaves. But when I saw at other website, that species have green leaves. For example cycas panzhihuanensis and ophiolitica. They are known with blue leaves but in a website of australia they aren't list in blue leaves. Tell me, WHAT CYCAS SPECIES THAT REALLY HAVE BLUE LEAVES BOTANICALLY ?

2. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

Many different cycads may have a blue tinge to them, but the true blue's are the Encephalartos. Here are some of the bluest of the bunch.

horridus
    trispinosus
    lehmannii
    princeps

arenarius can come in green to really blue colorings...

3. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

If you are looking for blue-leaved CYCAS species as opposed to Encephalartos species, those with blue-grey leaves are Cycas brunnea, Cycas cairnsiana, Cycas couttsiana, Cycas desolata, Cycas furfuracea, and Cycas pruinosa.

4. muhamad

muhamad Member

How about cycas panzhihuanensis and cycas ophiolitica ?. There are many store give image of this species with very attractive blue leaves. I have seedling of cycas panzhihuanensis ( I grow from seed ), yes the leaves is very dark green with thick blue powder. Is right like that?. I grow full sun.

5. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

I also grow Cycas panzihuaensis from seed but in my climate (temperate, in southwestern Canada) it is relatively cool and damp. My C. panzihuaensis have not formed the blue powder. Can you post photos of your plants? I would be interested to see them. I have not grown the C. ophiolitica.

6. muhamad

muhamad Member

I'm sorry, I have just cut the first leaves for experiment. Leaves of My friend's seedling plant has cut by his little son. Its amazing when 4 leaves come out together after that accident. So I try this methode to come more new leaves out. Once new leaves come out I'll send the photo.