In The Garden: Blue Flower

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by HollyHok, Dec 13, 2018.

1. HollyHok

HollyHok Active Member

While understanding I should have taken more photos of leaves and macro I am about to post the pictures I do have of this beautiful little blue flowered perennial shrub.
    When I acquired this shrub, the little lady commented "It's the only thing that flowers in fall". We are in zone 8 and I believe it flowered late summer, beginning of fall.
    I did have a chance to see this plant in the ground and recall it rose about 4' tall and equally wide. Was situated in a sunny spot.
    The leaves are serrated, a bit more grey than green and with a softer texture than say glossy.
    Does anyone have any idea what this shrub is called? We still have it in one gallons. Hasn't been planted out yet so unsure of it's full height and width potential.
    Thanking in bunches of Chevron Imperial Roses.

Attached Files:

2. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

Caryopteris of some sort.

Sundrop and Silver surfer like this.
  3. HollyHok

HollyHok Active Member

Thank you Tyrlych. Late lastnight I came across a flower online and yes that is it alright; Caryopteris. I believe it maybe x clandonensis, a cross between incana and mongbolica, although not yet confident I have the species right. The height seems to match. Could be incana but is said to grow only to 36" in height. However, while researching a bit more in hopes to determine the species I came across the story of how the x cladonensis came about. Actually quite interesting. Caryopteris - Wikipedia
    A lucky whoops. Happened to me when I grew both the maverick white and a maverick red geranium. I saved seeds and planted. I got a pink geranium. Sweet.
    Should I determine the Caryopteris species this is, I will post back. Beautiful little thing. Now I will be able to plan better as to where to plant it out in the early Spring. Once it's grown out for a couple years, I should have somethings more solid to work with. Thanks again.