Bloodgood Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by livebait, Jan 27, 2007.

1. livebait

livebait Member

Hello All
    I Have A Question On My Maple Tree It Is A Bloodgood Maple ,last Year It Looked Awful Very Few Leaves At All Most Limbs Look Dry No Buds ,
    Its Been Plated Fours Years Last Summer ,this Winter It Dos't Look Very Good ,should I Wait Till Spring To See What Happens Or Is There Somthing
    I Can Do For It . Ilive In Georiga ,atlanta Area Any Help Would Be Greatly
    Apprciated .

2. Hayzee

Hayzee Member

Hi livebait,

I would definitely wait until spring. Does it have many buds on it at the moment ? It maybe worth doing a thumbnail test by scratching back a small piece of bark and see if the wood underneath is green. If it is, it may recover. It could also probably do with some mulching....

These are just suggestions from an amateur :) There is a lot of expertise on this forum, maybe someone else has some suggestions ? Also photos often help people with a diagnosis :)

Regards

HZ

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

If your tree has been like this for the past year then you may well be in trouble
    You need to look carefully at the conditions in which the tree is trying to grow. To give you an example ..... I have an Asahi Zuru which for no apparent reason was starting to have difficulty. I thought it was in too much shade and was able to remove neighbouring branches to give more daylight. To little avail. I then considered a mint plant which was spreading around the base of the tree. When I decided to remove this it was everywhere through the roots of the tree. Obviously taking up nourishment needed by the tree and choking the roots. When I had removed the mint completely I added a drainage pipe (just in case) and fertilised. It is recovering well, and I anticipate a big improvemnt this coming year.
    Consider your own tree's history carefully. What has changed in this past 4 years? Did you spray? Or? Or? Or?

4. livebait

livebait Member

Thanks For The Reply Hayzee, I Did That Test And Most Branches Are Dry Only One Main Branch Is Green .

Livebait

5. livebait

livebait Member

Well It Has Been In The Front Of My Home With Nothing Around It ,i Think Its In Real Trouble The Trunk Looks Bad As Of Yesterday But I'm Going To Wait Untill Spring To Decide On Pulling It Out .any Sugestions On Food For It . I'll Try To Load Pictures . Thanks