General: Blackened Rosemary

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by need answers, Feb 5, 2010.

1. need answers

need answers Member

Hi all,

We have two healthy Rosemary's in the back garden and one has developed blackened stems, I am hoping it was just due to the bad snow we had here in Ireland and that it is not an infection.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated

Kindest regards

Gerard Linehan

2. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Active Member

My opinion would be that that is exactly what has caused it. Not sure there's an awful lot to be done once the low temps have got their grip on the plant - but maybe consider winter protection next year? :)

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

It is a Mediterranean plant fond of heat so I suspect the snow. Trim it up in spring and it should take off again unless the whole plant was damaged. As Hartley said protect next winter. Maybe pot it and move into a sheltered area.

Liz

4. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

When we had the 'winter from hell' last year, with much more than typical snow as well as extended cold snaps, not unlike what you're experiencing out your way this winter, lots of people lost their Rosemary, particularly if they were immature. The combination of wet and cold feet can be quite damaging to these Mediterranean natives. We lost the smaller of the 2 we had and had to prune the remaining one quite hard last spring, but it survived and flourished again over the summer.

5. need answers

need answers Member

Thank you all, that is a relief!! Completely agree with the dog hair quote, our sofas are covered in them

6. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

You may also consider taking some cuttings from your surviving plant. I have found that they root very easily. They will be a good back up if this year's winter is a hard one particularly if you plant them in a variety of locations.

Margaret

ps. Our black lab's hair is recycled as a ground cover to keep slugs away from tender plants. He also keeps the garden tidy by eating up surplus apples, figs and grapes and chases the bear and deer out of the garden. Would he qualify as an honorary gardener?!

7. need answers

need answers Member

Well we're nowhere near any Bears, middle of Dublin, I think he should be a honorary Gardener, ours just bark and chase around the greenhouse (and eat what might have fallen out of the compost bin)

8. Eustache D

Eustache D Member

Rosemary doesn't tolerate frost very well and the quantity of water and proper drainage is also very important.