Blackberries they are a-bakin'!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Creatrix, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Creatrix

Creatrix Active Member

Hello Folks: I started a new location for my thorn-less blackberries: took cuttings from the Mother plant: they are in a very sunny location against the solid wood fence. Everyone of the fruits are shrunken and parts are turning a beige-brown. ICK!
    is this a fungus... and how come the 'mother' vine is OK but these guys are a write -off? They are also growing beside very healthy raspberries.
    I've composted the trimmings/berries so no photo.
    Any feedback appreciated.
    ps temps in the Alberni Valley have been very high: 32 with some days higher.
    cheers

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

When did you plant the cuttings, and were they well-rooted before you planted them out? I wouldn't expect plants from cuttings to fruit at all until the year after planting. I don't grow blackberries, but the invasive wild ones are biennial and don't bear fruit until the second year. If these were cuttings from second year growth, I expect that they would try to fruit when planted out but would not have an adequate root system to support production of fruit.

3. Creatrix

Creatrix Active Member

Hello Vitog: these were put in last summer so it is the second year in place: the first year they were busy rooting. You are right.There was a lot of fruit this year but all as described in the 1st post... so, hoping to find out if it is a fungus or if it was the massive heat. cheers