Black tips on Ensete

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Salt Spring Centre School, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Salt Spring Centre School

Salt Spring Centre School Member

Hi
    I have 2 Ensete Ventricosum, and they both have black tips. It isn't on the surface, it is the leaf itself. Is it rotting , or is it normal?
    My plants are about a month old.
    Thank-you
    Emma Bishop
    Age 8

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Emma,
    This time of year is challenging for Banana plants growing indoors. There is likely several contributing factors (things that might make this happen). It could be water that accumulates in the leaf tips and can't be used up by normal plant processes. If the soil is fairly dry then it may be a drying out of leaf tissue. I do suspect that a somewhat reduced watering schedule is needed. Warmth (23C - 26C) and 10 hrs of good light per day will help. Less than this, and the banana plants are in a semi-dormant state and need less to survive. Once March comes around, it will be much easier for the bananas to be active and process nutrients routinely. In the mean time, don't worry too much.

Cheers, LPN (Barrie)

3. yousatonmycactus

yousatonmycactus Active Member

Black tips on musa leaves here in California usually means it is time to bring out the sweaters...Frost burn?

4. Salt Spring Centre School

Salt Spring Centre School Member

These plants are under growlights indoors. I noticed that the stems now have pretty red stripes going up them.
    Emma

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Emma,
    It sounds like these are going to be very nice banana plants. When the warmer weather comes the growth should speed up too.
    Cheers, LPN.