Bird of Paradise bloom help

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by tlairmore, Jun 27, 2010.

1. tlairmore

tlairmore Active Member 10 Years

I have a few large Bird of Paradise plants (Strelitzia) in Texas Zone 8. I have maintained them for three years, overwintering indoors twice. They are in partial to full sun, are judiciously but not overwatered, and I fertilize at least once in Spring. They have never bloomed, but appear to be healthy and thriving. Any suggestions?

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. tlairmore

Thank you for your time and advice
    tcl

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

TL, are they seed-grown plants? If they're S. reginae and grown from seed, they won't reach blooming maturity for another two to three years. S. nicolae is even slower. Be patient and keep babying them - they'll mature and start producing for you in a couple summers more.

(Togata - Strelitzia are Zingiberaceae, not Araceae. However, I do believe Steve grows them, so let's hope he chimes in.)

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Thanks, lorax. I think that everyone should visit the International Aroid Society, just on general principles!

Give us a photo if you can, tlairmore.

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Strelitiza aren't aroids but they do need full sun to produce inflorescences on a regular basis. I just talked to one of Hawaii's best growers today about this species and he just had to chainsaw a bunch that were nearly 40 feet tall! He had them growing in a place where they were in partial shade and they grew completely through the canopy to reach the full sun. We cut down 5 or 6 last summer because they were 16 feet tall and none had ever bloomed because we had them in partial shade. The ones we cut weighed close to 300 pounds and I know that to be a fact since one fell on me and I'm in a wheelchair. It took a bunch of folks to free me!

Check Floridata and it will tell you the same.......full sun to get them to bloom.

Amen on the IAS site! But then I'm prejudice.

Steve

7. tlairmore

Thanks everyone for the advice. They are not grown from seed; actually, I purchased them at a Lowe's garden center. They are in full sun for about 2/3 of day and then shade. I will work to move them to full sun, as they are in large pots. I appreciate the help, will work to provide a photo. thanks to everyone for the advice.
    tcl