beware some milky saps!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by barb t, Aug 7, 2008.

1. barb t

barb t Member

I'm just back from the emergency dept, the second time in a year, with a face that looks like a swollen red mask....both incidents have occurred shortly after handling a milky-sap plant's milky sap.... first happened in Toronto with spurge, don't think current plant is splurge but has similar look to it.
    MY CONCERN IS that never in my (30 yr) gardening experience have I noticed (or remember that I noticed) anything about being careful when handling these plants.

FROM NOW ON I will carefully wash my hands after every garden foray (can't bear to use gloves)

2. barb t

barb t Member

just to be clearer - current incident has happened in St. John's Newfoundland, not Toronto

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Spurge is well-known for its caustic latex.

Note though that skin-burning sap isn't necessarily milky, or vice-versa. The sap of Giant Hogweed Heracleum mantegazzianum is clear colourless, but is even more dangerous than spurge sap (it can put people in hospital for weeks). And conversely, I've never heard of anyone having skin problems from the milky white sap of Norway Maple Acer platanoides.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Can you post us a picture of the plant that burned you?

Euphorbia (this is the spurge family) is one of the worst offenders in the milky-sap department, but as Micheal notes Hogweeds are also pretty nasty. I have personally been burned by the sap of Aroids as well, along with a host of other plants. And I have friends who are so sensitive that they are burned by Dandilion and Lettuce saps.

5. Analogdog

Analogdog Active Member 10 Years

I don't mess with Euphorbia and their kin for this reason. I have been burned many times, but never severely. Take care, and heal quick. My best wishes for your recovery.

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Poinsettias can sure put a damper on the holiday fun, too. And be careful of morning glories! Mayan priests knew about the hallucinogenic properties of these...always wear gloves if you're doing anything with these plants. I eschew gloves too---but if I'm dealing with m.g. or bindweed, I make sure to wash my hands thoroughly and immediately!

7. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Poinsettias are members of the Euphorbia family, so that's not surprising....

As for morning glories, the hallucinogenic properties are confined to the seeds, so you might be getting a little overcautious there....