British Columbia: Best Vancouver Nursery for Organic Potting Mix etc?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Sphinxie, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Sphinxie

Sphinxie Member

I'm looking to buy a relatively large amount of potting mix, possibly some extra elements to make it even lighter and/or water retaining, and some organic slow-release fertilizer.

But I have no idea which nursery to go to in Vancouver. I went to the David Hunter Center in Surrey, but they didn't have organic fertilizer. There don't seem to be that many nursery choices here. (?) My plants and seeds are waiting to go into their new, larger containers!

I'd also appreciate any tips on potting mixs and additions, weight, water-friendliness, etc.

2. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

I find it best to mix up my own...most commercial mixes are little more than peat moss.

Most good nurseries have a sifted compost blend containing some sand (which helps with drainage) which is meant for flower beds (the sand-less compost is for veggies). You could custom mix in perlite and/or slow release fertilizer granules.

Pots are great for small space gardening, or for changing out focal points over a season. But they need regular deep watering, or need to be where your sprinkler hits it, or have a wicking reservoir to draw from. I find in high summer most of my big pots need watering every other day at least. When I go off on a holiday I put them all in a kiddie pool.