best irrigation system for redwood trees?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by PoorOwner, Apr 22, 2013.

1. PoorOwner

PoorOwner Active Member 10 Years

I am puzzled what to use to irrigate small sized redwood trees.

There was sprinkler head on timer that sprays, the soil just look dry under the ground cover plants.

I have been running the garden hose near the trunk a little, but it doesn't water the soil evenly.

I was going to put in a drip system but I am not sure if it will be sufficient, it worked good for small ornamental trees, but seems like the redwood have roots further out. The diameter is about 7".

I heard soaker hose might be better, would I need to run figure 8 around each trunk? Is it a good strategy to water close to the trunk?

I really need to put in a irrigation system soon as all our winter rain is starting to dry up quickly.

Instead of little 1/4" dripper circuits that stems from a 1/2" hose. I think I will get these so the whole flowerbed gets evenly watered.

http://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-Lan.../ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

has anyone used something similar?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Often for home garden situations the best bet is an oscillating sprinkler on the end of a hose. If you just have one particular area you are trying to address this might work well for you.

3. PoorOwner

PoorOwner Active Member 10 Years

Just wanted to report back the drip emitter line seems to be working well with a row formation planting. 2 lines where used.

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Old topic, but for redwood, or various other trees, I think the sprinkler option is more a "best" option than drip.

Drip is okay, but I don't think it comes close to the nature of water coverage from a sprinkler.