British Columbia: Best Fig Cultivar for a Container In Vancouver

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by gardencouver, Sep 2, 2010.

1. gardencouver

gardencouver Member

I'm looking to plant a potted fig tree for a Vancouver patio with full sunlight. Some things I'm wondering about:

1) How large should the pot be? Would a Half whiskey barrel do?
    2) What are the most suitable cultivars?

Thanks, Gc

2. tallclover

tallclover Member

I've had good luck with these varieties: Negronne, Vern's Brown Turkey, Peter's Golden Honey, and Dessert King.

Of those, I'd say Negronne (aka Violette du Bordeaux) may be your best bet in a whiskey barrel. Mine was in a pot for a couple years and did fine; now it's in the ground. Dessert King and Peter's Honey are pretty vigorous. All are heavy feeders so if in a pot, add a time release fertilizer in the spring.

Here are some links with photos of the ones I grow:
    Good Luck, Tom

3. gardencouver

gardencouver Member

Thanks tallclover for the tips and insightful links. In my searches I've seen "Violette du Bordeaux" mentioned as a good cultivar for pots and it's good to hear our your success with it. I'll see if I can track one down.

Any recommendations on when would be the best time to acquire a Fig from a nursery? I suppose I could start a clipping too, though I'd like to have the tree in production ASAP.

For feeding, I'm thinking I'll mulch yearly with compost and alternate fish and kelp fertilizers weekly during the main growing season. Every four years or so, as I understand it, I would need to trim the root ball back.

Cheers, Gc

4. tallclover

tallclover Member

I'd check out your local nurseries for one and plant it now. Even as the tree will lose its leaves, the roots continue to grow. I think fall is always the best time to plant a tree; it gives it a head start. Spring's okay too. ;-)