Identification: Berberis, long spines, not quite smooth leaf edges, purple leaves

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by wcutler, May 14, 2019.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This shrub in Morton Park at English Bay near me looks sort of like Berberis thunbergii, except that the leaf margins have little hairs or prickles (I didn't feel them), and the new ribbed stem growth is elongated, sticking up above the leafy part of the shrub, showing off the spines in groups of mostly three. What I first thought were flower buds actually seem to be leaf buds with the spines gathered around them.

OK, now that I'm reading up on Berberis, what I've described seems to be what they do. This is from Berberis - Wikipedia:
    The genus Berberis has dimorphic shoots: long shoots which form the structure of the plant, and short shoots only 1–2 mm (0.039–0.079 in) long. The leaves on long shoots are non-photosynthetic, developed into one to three or more spines[5]:96 3–30 mm (0.12–1.18 in) long. The bud in the axil of each thorn-leaf then develops a short shoot with several normal, photosynthetic leaves. These leaves are 1–10 cm (0.39–3.94 in) long, simple, and either entire, or with spiny margins. Only on young seedlings do leaves develop on the long shoots, with the adult foliage style developing after the young plant is 1–2 years old.​

Could B. thunbergii have either entire or spiny margins, or is this a different species/cultivar? A Berberis vulgaris cultivar?
    Berberis_MortonPark_Cutller_20190513_150122.jpg Berberis_MortonPark_Cutller_20190513_150129.jpg