Beni Fushigi Prune?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kaydye, Oct 25, 2015.

1. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I know it is hard to see in this photo, but Beni Fushigi has developed long whips that don't show the described characteristic leaves. I would like to know if it has a tendency to revert or if this is like with many of the strap leaved maples that will have the characteristic leaves on old growth, but then a more normal leaf on the new growth later in the summer? I have had it in a container for years and it didn't do this, but last year I put it in the ground and it really accelerated the growth. So, I'm not in a hurry to prune off this growth unless it has reverted. Thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

2. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I guess I'll reply to self. I kept researching and stumbled on a note on Eastwood's Nurseries CD of Japanese maples about Beni Fushigi. It was noted that it reverts profusely and that the reverted growth has to be pruned out often. When I looked at mine, I could tell that the whips were reversions. There were many branches that had reverted. Once they were cleaned out, the tree looked much improved. Sooooo, if you are growing it, be aware of this on your own tree.