Begonia plant seeds

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by jackie majewski, Aug 8, 2008.

1. jackie majewski

jackie majewski Member

I would like information of how to get seeds from a begonia plant which can be used for further plants

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Hi Jackie--the seeds will be in the capsule that is left after the flower falls, usually kind of a winged looking affair. Let this capsule mature and dry out as much as you can before snipping it off the plant, then I would dry it indoors for a week to make sure it doesn't mold in storage.

Then I would pop the capsule, which might be trying to split open and empty it's almost dustlike little seeds all over the place, into a little ziploc type bag and keep it in the fridge until you're ready to start germinating them. They are slow to size up, so often the pro's start them around New Years...lots of work, usually with grow lights at that time of year. One trick that has worked is to dust the seeds onto the seed mix in it's container, then lay one ply of facial or bathroom tissue over them...this helps to avoid them getting washed around when you water, and also helps keep them moist without covering them too deeply...they will germinate right up thru the paper and eventually be ready to prick out into little individual containers for further growth.

Hope you like a bit of a challenge!