Beer swilling rugby guy needs palm help!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Wayne, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Wayne

Wayne Member

I have two Chinese windmill palms I received as a gift this Spring. They are doing very well. I'm not sure if I need to bring them inside for the winter. I live in Coquitlam B.C. and have two patio's, one is uncovered and faces east, with 90 degree north and south exposure, the other is covered and mostly protected from the wind and faces south. They are about 24" tall in 10" pots, I'm worried if I bring them in during a cold snap they might be shocked and die. Any advice? (there might be a beer in it for you!)

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hey Wayne! I'm having a beer as I write.
    I wouldn't get too concerned unless temps dip below -6 celcius for any extended time. The top growth is fine, it's the roots that are normally buried in-ground that are subject to freezing. These are pretty tough palms and can take quite a bit. Sometimes the California imports need a year or two to adjust to our northern climate. The best thing would be to plant them, or grow them in insulated containers. (I'm crackin' another beer)

Cheers, LPN.

3. Wayne

Wayne Member

Pssssst, that was the sound of me opening a Bud!, if it does get to -6C for a bit is it OK to bring them in for a few days?

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Best to place them in a cool environment, no more than 12c so they don't break dormancy and begin actively growing. Failing that, an insulated container would suffice. In the past I've constructed square planters using treated lumber, and lined with 1 inch polystyrene on all 4 sides and bottom.
    Too early for my Bud, and I'm not off work until 9:30 tonight.

Cheers, LPN.