Bark of maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Gomero, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Parislights,

My answer was to be taken humoristically ;o)), it was not my intention to critisize you pulling up the thread. On the contrary, I have often reminded people posting problems that, if applicable, there were other threads dealing with the same subject. So, you are perfectly right, having searched through the forum, in pulling up a thread where your problem seems to have been discussed.

Please keep posting

Gomero

2. parislights

parislights Member

Thanks I didnt want to offend such a wonderful poster Gomero! Yes i have started that new thread and yes this is a quite a group! I'm really looking forward to learn more about these wonderful trees! Still I'm a total noob, not a scientist and barely even a gardener! So certainly appreciate all information I can gather!

You all still have snow down there; being in the south of France; i must imagine, so does that humidity plus the very cold weather have any effect this year on your sangokakus trunk coloring? Just wondering cause you started this thread back in 2004 if I remember correctly!

Mine is like you see in the photo but further down where it doesn't get much in the way of winter sun it is a dusty yellow color. The top is a bright bright corally red as you see in the photos! Slightly less florescentpink than the mature Sangokakus that I saw at Karen Junkers when I picked mine up. I also think that difference in color is a difference in Eddisburys and a classic sangokakus. Ive only seen five sangokakus . They all were that bluish pink as opposed to the orangy coral of the eddisbury! All of those sangokakus that I mentioned came from different places and have different growing situations. Ive only ever seen one eddisbury and it's out there looking in as I write this! Very very pretty!

Gee. Must be a girl! All of this splitting of hairs when it comes to describing reds! Thought of describing it as certain well known lipstick colors but thought better of it! Hehehhe!

-parislights

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

This has been a pretty good fall/winter season for my maples. A very rainy month of October led to the most spectacular fall colors I've ever seen and a continuously cold winter has been good for bark colors, knowing that the reds require direct sun exposure while the yellows do not (and this includes the snakebarks).

I also have an 8 years old 'Eddisbury' but it is not in full sun so the bark is not outstanding. Otherwise it is a pretty tree (see pics).

Gomero

Attached Files:

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

In this area, I noticed some relation between bark color on Japanese maple and exposure to sunlight. Maybe "color" might not be the best word, but there was a difference. Like more green toward the shade, and more gray or aged looking toward the sun. At least with 1" to 3" diameter limbs.

I may pay closer attention to it now that you asked. And I was already interested, and forgot to keep looking at trees in regards to this the past couple of years.

It first came to mind when I was making bird perch wood one day for a perch supplier. And Japanese maple was one of a couple woods being used that day.