Bare-rooting

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Junglekeeper, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

What are the chances of a 2-year old evergreen magnolia recovering from bare-rooting? It is currently almost dormant (and probably unhappy) in its roomy 10" container. Its state now is the same as when it was pruned in early spring to control height.

Bare-rooting is the only thing I can think of to get rid of a millipede infestation without resorting to toxic chemicals which I would like to avoid as the plant is growing indoors.

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Jkeeper--real interesting lead article in American Nurseryman current issue on this general topic.

It seems that in practice plants not only tolerate but perhaps do better when barerooted before planting, rather than the conventional method of disturbing roots as little as possible. Based on this author's experiences in side by side transplants done both ways, it seems that most plants can certainly live with the treatment you're considering.

Setting it in the shade and keeping adequately watered after repotting or planting out is common sensible.

Wonder if there is an alternative for killing those millipedes...I get a few of them in some of my containers as well, tho never blamed them for any measurable damage. Certainly do a number on the peas planted early spring in cool soil, tho.

Glen

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Swish it around in a tub, wash with hose nozzle to get soil off. Keep immersed, so roots do not sit out in air and dry out. Replant promptly, making sure to work replacement soil back in around roots with hands. Mulch well and water faithfully for rest of next growing season.

4. Junglekeeper

Thanks, Glen and Ron, for your input. The patient is hopefully now recovering from the process. The old soil mix was too dense and retained too much moisture for the plant's liking. Some of its roots had rotted which explains the abundance of millipedes and fungus gnats. There were also signs of new root growth which is encouraging.

Ron, I wouldn't have thought to use a tub. It resulted in a much more thorough job. Thanks.

Glen, it certainly is counter-intuitive that bare-rooting would perform better. I'm not sure it would apply to magnolias though as they're known to be sensitive to root disturbance. The roots are, as I discovered, like bean sprouts and snap very easily.

As for the millipedes...I don't think they were causing very much, if any, damage. Most millipedes are considered to be beneficial. They were probably happy just to feast on the dead roots. I did try a couple of ways to control them. Diatomaceous earth sprinkled on the soil surface killed a few. However trapping was much, much more effective. The following is a variation on a method I found on the net:
    Punch some holes in the side of a Campbell's Soup can just above the bottom;
    Add some fresh potatoe peelings;
    Cover the top with a piece of tinfoil to keep the can dark and cool;
    Place the can on top of the soil pushing it in slightly.
    Do this in the evening and by morning you'll find a can full of millipedes.​

5. Junglekeeper

Re: Bare-rooting (Update)

Looks like the tree is on the road to recovery, slow as it is. It remained dormant for about three weeks during which time a few leaves were shed. It then slowly came to life and is now starting to put on a new set of leaves replacing those that were left.

Thanks guys.