British Columbia: bananas

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Bazette3, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Bazette3

Bazette3 Member

I know there is a place to go for this .....could someone tell me how to get to it. Just joined.

We are starting an organic farm and greenhouses in a town called Jaffray....just out of Cranbrook. My sister gave me an article on bananas and really want a plant. Where do I find one??? I want Lady Finger or Dwarf Cavendish or Dwarf Ducasse. I need info on them also.

Thanks

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Dwarf Cavs are sometimes available at Wal Mart. If you want a reliable banana plant and a wealth of banana-related information, you should join the International Banana Society and ask around - there are Canadian members who will more than likely be willing to trade / sell you a pup.

If you will be growing in a greenhouse or in your house, you'll be fine year-round with a DC or one of the dwarf ladyfinger varieties - they won't tolerate your winters outdoors.

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Bazette, it will be difficult to obtain your request out in Jaffray, my sister used to teach primary there...: however you can drive to a large nursery, either in Cranbrook or Calgary, and call ahead as they may have them in ther green house or they will order it for you. Also try online, as it may also be less expensive, try Hawaiian Botanicals in the Lower Mainland.

4. Bazette3

Bazette3 Member

Thanks, appreciate the info

Bazette3