British Columbia: Bananas in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by kevind76, Nov 29, 2009.

1. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Does anyone know what types of bananas are planted in the Vancouver and coastal areas of B.C.? I saw a lot at English Bay.

There was also a very nice deep red or burgundy type at VanDusen Botanical Gardens. Does anyone know what this one is?

Is the season long enough in these areas to produce fruit?

Do you think any of them would need protection for the winter? I'm wondering if the city would bother covering anything that they plant.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Most of the green ones are Musa basjoo. This overwinters once established but its fruits are not suitable for consumption. The other kinds usually need protection to overwinter outdoors here.

3. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Thanks. So Palm trees anad bananas in Vancouver year-round with no protection? That's pretty cool. What do you think the huge burgundy one in VanDusen is? I suspect they protect those for the winter, being a botanical garden.

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Ensete ventricosum 'Maurellii' is the most likely candidate. These are very frost sensitive and would likely have to be dug out if their intentions where to save it.

Cheers, LPN.

5. cindys

cindys Active Member

LPN is correct...that is the red banana at VanDusen. Before frost, it is dug up and moved to the greenhouse. The Musa nearby gets a chicken wire cage all around. Inside the cage, leaves are piled to act as a blanket.

I have seen Musa bananas left uncovered all winter in Kitsilano. The ones I saw suffered some damage but always rebounded.

None of the bananas that I have seen at VanDusen or elsewhere have ever gotten actual bananas.

6. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Established stands of Musa basjoo of a few years would not need winter protection. Last winter was proof of that, as mine rebounded unprotected once spring was underway. These will set fruit if the psuedostems reach maturity, not uncommon in our coastal climate.

Cheers, LPN.