Bananas growing in Caulfield

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by milliestewart, Oct 17, 2006.

1. milliestewart

milliestewart Member

Hello all,
    I was wandering my garden on Friday afternoon and noticed that my banana palm was sprouting actual bananas!
    The palm is not in a green house, it is planted in the garden in a sheltered area, facing south.
    Just wondering a few things about my exciting discovery:
    Has anyone heard of this happening before in Vancouver or the lower mainland?
    are the bananas edible? there seem to be more coming underneath the next palm leaf.
    how long do they take to grow to their full potential?
    please respond if you have anything to tell me about bananas growing in vancouver. Has this ever happened before, or could it be due to the unusual summer/fall climate
    I'm very excited!
    Millie
    ps-i tried to attach pic, but they didnt work...will post this message and try pics as a seperate post, please bare with me

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  2. milliestewart

milliestewart Member

Banana Pics

here they are...
    i had to compress the files, so i hope they work!

Attached Files:

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I couldn' open the pictures, but what type of banana do you have, Musa Basjoo? Not tasty if it is. Also not unusual if your getting flowers and such.

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

milliestewart.
    What you have here is Musa basjoo, and has been in cultivation in the Vancouver area since 1985. Gerard Pury (Oakridge Landscaping) introduced the first ones back then and they've been flowering and fruiting since. The fruit is purely ornimental and not considered edible, by humans anyway.
    The flowering pseudostem will die after flowering and new ones will emerge to replace it. In time, these form large groves and create a very tropical look.

I've resized and posted your pic below. Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files: