Banana trees, aka Basjoo

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Cindi, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Cindi

Cindi Active Member

I have had a banana grove that I have been developing for about 6 years. It is getting larger and larger, but I have never had any bananas develop. Maybe this species doesn't produce bananas, but I thought that it did. I use the black sleeves for winter protection and have recently now removed them for the season.

So, anyone got any tips on how to force the grove to produce bananas?

I was given a single plant by someone these 6 years ago and I am surprised at how much they have spread throughout the years. It is very pretty in the summer as I plant bronze leaf cannas around them, intermixed with hostas.

I am going to try to see if I can bring a picture into my post for you to have a look.
    Cindi

Attached Files:

2. kellienkids

kellienkids Member

Hi Cindi, I have a grove of bananas that are reaching the second story of my house now, we also insulate and I use alot of turkey manure and or mushroom manure, they are happy and very south facing. This year we had about 4 bunches of bananas. They never get to maturity but are about 3-4 inches long, quite a sight! We live in Whonnock so we are neighbours. Once your banana has flowered and given some fruit cut it down in fall as it is done it's life cycle. or just don't insulate it, it will fall on its own. NIce picture of your grove. Happy gardening Kellie