Bambusa vulgaris 'Warmin'

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by xman, Mar 17, 2009.

1. xman

xman Active Member

Hi,

I came across this picture when browsing the web, and love the look of it.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/148431/

Is this a true or normal representation of the species? I have seen buddha belly bamboo in local nurseries in 5 gallon sizes and they did not look like these. The ones I have seen were green, and with hardly any node buldges even though they were about 5 ft tall and pretty overgrown in the containers.

Will this take the TX winters that may get to lows of 15 F? Anybody growing this?
    Does anybody know of a source that I can get this from?

Sorry for all the questions, but bamboo is my new love.

thanks,
    xman

2. iluvbamboo

iluvbamboo Member

All the pros please correct me if I'm wrong...

Buddha's belly and Vulgaris "Wamin" are two different varieties of Bambusa.
    From what I've read Bambusa Vulgaris "Wamin" has a min. temp of 27 degrees. Buddha Belly is actually Bambusa Ventricosa and can withstand temps about 10 degrees lower than the Vulgaris and is quite a bit taller. From pics that I've seen the "Wamin" has substantially more nodes than the Buddha's Belly.

Check out Bambooplantation.com. They have all the species listed with their min. temps, sun requirements and maximum heights.

3. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Depending on how far you're willing to drive, there are several places with 10 minutes of me that have bamboo. ;-) I'm in Spring just north of Houston (NOT Big Spring), so it would be a 2 hour haul for you. If you're really in for a serious binge, get a U-haul and head with me down to Caldwell's!!

http://www.caldwellhort.com/

4. xman

xman Active Member

DGuertin,

Nice link, it must be really nice staying so close to such a place. Not many places carry bamboo in Dallas. As for the U-haul, let me cash in whatever is left of my 401K, may be enough to get a 3 gallon Wamin :)

xman

5. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Only been to Caldwell's the once, but got lost on the way there, and again when I got there. The place is *huge.* Seems like some things are awfully expensive, and the rest of it they practically give away. Weird...