Bamboo Cultivation in Toronto

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ChrisUWArch, Jun 16, 2020.

1. ChrisUWArch

ChrisUWArch New Member

Hello,

My name is Christopher Hardy and I am a researcher at the University of Waterloo. I'm looking into the feasibility of cultivating bamboo as a sustainable, local, and rapidly available construction material for the City of Toronto.

The bamboo species I am looking at is Moso and Japanese Timber Bamboo. I know both are strong and grow large in diameter and in height, and are relatively cold hardy.

The site I am looking to grow this bamboo is on the Leslie Spit, which is off the shore of Toronto, next to the Islands. According to the USDA hardiness zone, this is area is in zone 7a, so I know climate-wise these species can be supported. However, I also understand that Toronto has very strong cold winter winds, and the average coldest recorded temperature over the past 10 years is -24C.

My questions are the following:

1. Can Moso and Japanese Timber Bamboo survive -24C cold snaps?
    2. If not, how can these bamboo be protected from the extreme winter cold?
    3. Do these bamboo grow well in conditioned greenhouses?
    4. Can I expect maximum diameter growth (6") in these species if grown in Toronto?

Thank you everyone for all your help.

Chris

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Esteemed Contributor UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

I have no answers to your questions, but I am curious: is this Japanese timber bamboo?

Attached Files: