balcony garden novice seeks wisdom

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by maria, Mar 12, 2005.

1. maria

maria Member

I am new to any kind of gardening but have moved into an apartment with two very large (room size) roof top balconies (decks), one facing east and one facing west, and each gets lots of direct sunshine. Both balconies are "enclosed" by not very strong wooden fences, so there's some possibility for trailing vines (but not large hanging baskets).The west one gets some wind, but the east one is quite protected. The west deck is visible all year round from the living room. Watering will be dead easy.

Would someone make some suggestions for getting started? I don't expect to be here for many years, so quick growing and quick producing plants are necessary, as will be frugality ( I am a writer!). I have a few large pots and nothing else. Since my plant taste is not very refined, I tend to like flowering plants and masses of colour.

I also want to treat myself to planting something special for a big fat (3 feet diameter) blue pot. Without much imagination or knowledge, I am thinking roses. Can I have a rose tree and something else underneath the rose tree in the same pot? What roses grow well in pots? However the camelia trees that bloom so early and so long in Vancouver are quite wonderful. Do they do well in pots?

And what about herbs........how would I plan a year-round herb garden?

I am not very handy with tools and must carry everything up 3 stories.

Finally as a novice, I need to have some success in early efforts to keep me going. Can anyone help?

Maria

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for your enquiry. Since you will be using containers be sure they are at least 12" in diameter and of sufficient dept to allow roots to spread and to hold moisture. Good potting soil is essential. Your west balcony seems the most important and an ideal spot for roses. Almost any rose may be planted in a container but a standard rose would probably require staking due to the wind factor. Climbing miniature roses could be planted in containers backed by the wooden fences and attached as they grow. The following are suggestions, 'Jeanne Lajoie', 'Nozomi', 'Warm Welcome'. You might consider growing some of the small varieties of Clematis on your wooden fences. Some of the smaller shrub roses, e.g. 'The Fairy' , also grow well in containers. You might consider an evergreen shrub, such as Viburnum 'Davidii', Pieris japonica, Skimmia japonica, planted in the blue container for all year round interest. A container of herbs would grow well on your west balcony as they thrive in sunshine. There are many varieties but Rosemary is one which survives our winters and is very useful. Mint is easy to grow but unlike most herbs prefers a shady situation so would grow better in a shady area of your east balcony...if that is possible. In the spring you will find many herbs for sale in Garden Centres. Happy Gardening!

3. pastorlesofm

pastorlesofm Member

I found both the question and the reply quite helpful. I have grown a rose bush on my balcony a couple of years ago. I also want to grow fresh Herbs on my balcony, as I love to use fresh herbs in my cooking also would like to be able to bring them in during the colder months here in UpState New York. I heard that herbs are very good for the air quality inside during the Fall and Winter months. I have to hang them from the ceiling as I have two indoor cats. I may plant some catnip for them.

4. garden diva

garden diva Member

Sounds like you have a lovely spot -spots for growing some colourful annuals . I think you would like Morning Glories and Sweet Peas which both love sun and would trail up . The trick to get both these babies trailing is something my mom told me a while ago and it does work. Take a length of string the lentgh of your fence and tie one end to the very end of the plant once it is about 5-6 inches long. make the knot loose but tight enough to keep it up ,
    . Then tie the other end to the top of your fence and the plant will work it's way all by itself. The sweet peas need lots of nitrogen fertilizer a fertilizer with a high first number count on the bag eg. 30-20-20 or 20-20-20- is also good and they like to be kept watered. It will be nice to see the large morning glories and the sweet peas are fragrant[read the packet to be sure]. They can be started straight outside if you have warm weather and no frost . Sweet Peas like cooler weather to start and they are nice cut and put in small vase at your table. Happy Gardening,Garden Diva

5. snowguy

snowguy Member