'Aztec Pearl' or 'White Dazzler' Choisya best?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by janetdoyle, Oct 21, 2015.

1. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I am going to take out an overgrown Weigela which the deer here in this Saanich neighbourhood are always going for [besides the very dark red flowers do not show well owing to the general deep green leafiness in our neighbourhood], in favour of a Choisya, one which blooms in the Fall as well as the Spring... which do the gardeners here recommend, Choisya 'Aztec Pearl' or 'White Dazzler'? The planting spot is semi-sunny, not totally so, although I could find a place in the same garden that is sunnier, but want to replace the Weigela... the garden is only a townhouse garden so is not large, but a generous-sized small garden. White flowers show up very well in this garden, from the roadway...

By the way, your Forum structure or software has changed? Interesting.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Choose a warm spot with good drainage for Mexican orange, which is native to Mexico.

3. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Thanks, I'll try to... the garden I want to put it in is probably in a bit of a cold air collector area [somewhat below street level and on the lower part of the grassy slope of the lawns which roll down towards our townhouse condominium, and in hot weather this general area is always coolish owing to the land being higher than in Victoria... also there are the large stands of trees everywhere in the background] but it will be protected by other shrubs from the prevailing winds, and will get some sun. It would get more sun in a slightly more forward, but exposed position facing northwest, but it would getting winds, but would get pretty unshaded mid-day and late afternoon sun -- the garden is raised enough so that it would get drainage in winter. But it is Saanich, BC so shouldn't be too cold although this spot seems to be in the path of winds from the southeast [although largely protected by a large stand of tall fir and cedars on the lawns in the path of the winds, which I've noticed are "prevailing" around here, when not from the west...] I see similar shrubs on high sloped gardens among other shrubs along the southeast side of another street nearby with front gardens facing due northwest, but sunny. I don't think they'd get much wind there...